The Satirical Art of Paul Kuczynski - Stop and Think

Published by Hammer
February 28, 2011 at 19:49

I am a fan of great art, especially those expressing great satire like the works of Banksy. Recently I came across another amazing artist, Polish born Paul Kuczynski (Pawła Kuczyńskiego).

There are an immense amount of Paul Kuczinski's images on capu.pl, but below you can see my favorites from that site. These images definitely make you think about your environment and what is really going on. Enjoy.

anonymous
February 28, 2011 at 21:20

WOW!!!

Chobertt
March 1, 2011 at 14:48

The world will end soon, not because of a prophecy, but because of man kind's absolute disregard of the delicate balance of life.

March 1, 2011 at 22:37

Soon is a relative term. While I have no doubt that the world will end, and soon can be used in the grand scheme of things, I am reasonably certain that I will not see it.

josue
March 26, 2011 at 09:53

Nice  work, verry simple  and yet so real

Uncle B
April 2, 2011 at 08:02

Even Canada, soon, tar-paper shacks with small gardens, humbly bowing to Chinese superemacy. America lost to the corporatists, Americans soon surfs in their own land, deeply endebted to the Orient, mercenaries now for the Saudis, next, the Chinese. babushca, you never had it so good - self-sufficient, sustainable, and satisfied with your lot in life. The meek inherit the earth? If pollution, radiation, doesn't get them first.

David
April 15, 2011 at 16:38

In my opinion, his work is very well done in terms of form and production. Concept and execution is lacking for my liking. There is an obvious social political commentary communicated but it is simply to consumable. The intention is too obvious, there is no real formulaic dialogue, just a highlighting of implied social assumptions. This type of art falls under the realm of commodity, and thereby less impactful on someone with a deeper knowledge of art theory and socio-politial relationships.

we
April 29, 2011 at 21:52

meh

Sybille
May 1, 2011 at 04:11

Reply to David's post: What is wrong with obvious? Of what use is art that no one or only a selected few understand? This kind of elitism is reiterating exactly the same patterns that art like this highlights.

neil
May 3, 2011 at 17:53

this stuff is far too heavy handed and cheesey, they look like over the top venttriano prints with a conscience. Its well made, and has a coheirent style, but the subject matter seems overly simplified for maximum impact without making any real statement.

musa666
May 11, 2011 at 08:54

like this!!

Katie Fairchild
May 24, 2011 at 12:00

Honesty is the way to go :)

Zach
May 29, 2011 at 01:14

@David, congrtulations on being well versed in art theory, too bad nobody cares, as it has nothing to do with these works. There is, as you mentioned, a clear social and political message to these works. As someone who is not well versed in art theory, like most other people, I do not see how this detracts from the art in any way. How does something being classified as a commodity lessen its meaning or impact? Also, how can you be totally sure you know exactly what the works are about without speaking directly to the artist, it is impossible to absoloutely determine exactly what the artist intended without having spoken to him. The paintings could very well be about the balance of the social, political, and natural realms. David, I will never be able to undertand your mindset, and chances are you will never see this again (as I will not see any further responsed since I'm just going to stumble on to the next site after this one), but I gathered a slight amount of arrogance in your response to the art. You seem to the art as if you were above it due to the fact you happen to have a superior education in art when compared to the common person. That's just my take on things.

Mike
May 29, 2011 at 08:11

David: Here is performance art:

Go fuck yourself.

Sesalnik
June 5, 2011 at 08:14

Great collection!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Matt
June 5, 2011 at 17:21

@Zach, I doubt David's intention was to seem arrogant. Though educated artists and art critics can seem elitist at times, it's more the fact that we are exposed to more art on a daily basis that makes obvious and political art very easy to spot and dismiss. There is nothing inherently wrong with having a "point" that everyone can understand. However, when the meaning of a piece is so spelled out for us, it begins to lack depth. Instead of lingering on the possibilities of its meaning or it's formal qualities (balance, use of color, etc.) it's easier to just look at these paintings for a second, yell "Got it!" and scroll down to the next one. Sometimes it's better to "show" not "tell" in art, and ambiguity is not something to be threatened by.

Please understand that I'm not trying to sound like an art snob.

Not Impressed
June 5, 2011 at 20:17

Bullshit from someone who lives life as an observer and not a doer.  This work is crap.

David, Minneapolis
July 1, 2011 at 09:19

Part of something special, just a few pieces of work that would be good in a web magazine. Enjoyed these, thanks.

Tony Montana
July 1, 2011 at 11:44

The debate has gone on too long, with too many people failing to see the obvious answers! The time calls for bold statements!

"I'm against those things that everybody hates!"

lachessys
July 7, 2011 at 21:23

it reminded me of Quino's work.

NarciVore
August 9, 2011 at 18:31

Wow, David.  You are so smart.  I find it hard to get over that.  How smart you are...

Zach
August 25, 2011 at 10:45

I'm gonna go ahead and agree with David. Some of it looks nice and it does have a clear social message that I even agree with, but the obviousness he delivers it with leaves it with no impact. You understand what he says but it has no personal meaning, there's no feeling to it. It just passes by.

Schemilix
August 25, 2011 at 11:19

I for one found them quite pleasant. Yes it's all been said before but some of it's a refreshing take. It doesn't have to be esoteric to be meaningful. What use is meaning if it's lost to all but the few who rammed their head up their arse in the name of critique? I may be being heavy-handed here but really. If it works for the lowest common denominator - this looks all very prole, very Marxist. The proletariat are who we're trying to get here... they're simple. The equivalent of a pithy statement. I like them - and the style itself is smooth and pleasant, quite retro.

Also David you sound like an ass, get a real degree.

The world Wont End
August 26, 2011 at 17:41

My favorite is the image with the cat, the buther and the famr animals :D nice touch.

@'The world will end soon ppl' - The world will not end, neither will nature. The only thing that will change due to our pollution is the worlds ability to sustain human life. Life will go on in other forms, the world will still be here, and soon, all traces of us will be wiped away.

@David, I have to agree ... you Do sound like a showoff LOL