Naked Minnie Mouse on a huge Nazi Swastika

Published by newsfreak
June 22, 2010 at 10:41

Art gallery owners in Poznan (Poland) are facing jail time over a giant poster of a naked Minnie Mouse sprawled on a huge Nazi swastika. The poster is for advertising an art exhibition. The poster was placed right next to a synagogue which has infuriated everyone in the city.

Naked Minnie Mouse on a huge Nazi Swastika

"For me it is quite shocking, and even more so for people who remember World War II, and especially for people who suffered during it," said local councillor Norbert Napieraj.

During World War II the synagogue was closed and looted by Nazis before being flooded and turned into a swimming pool for German soldiers. Now prosecutors are studying the poster to see if it promotes fascism, punishable by three years in jail in Poland.

But gallery manager Maria Czarnecka said: "This billboard is for a poster exhibition and in no way does it promote fascism or support the Nazi regime."

Source: www.croatiantimes.com

Some 60 years ago, Poland witnessed mass murders of Jews at the hands of Nazi soldiers wearing the swastika sign. Isn't that reason enough, not to stretch the limits of artistic imagination to put the same sign next to a synagogue which wintnessed the atrocities? Not at all artistic!

Response by newsfreak
June 23, 2010 at 15:03

Max Papeschi: The artist behind the Nude Minnie Mouse with Nazi Swastika

As Mark in the "Comments section" pointed out, that the banner portrays a famous work from the art work series called "Ronald The Butcher Boy" by the artist Max Papeschi.

Max describes his work as -

I think that many of my works can be described as an advertising campaign coming from possible parallel realities. They’re conceived as actual advertisements, just without the claim of a product, slogans, and of course the pay I would receive upon completion. What they sell is rather the real value upon which our society is based, without any sort of lie or hypocrisy hidden within them.Source: thejailbreak.com

Check out more of his work -

You can check our more of his stuff at http://www.maxpapeschi.com/

The artist's work seems to be against the capitalism in USA. He seems to potray Disney (and other) characters as bad and/or pro-Nazi. And no is is not American (or French), he is Italian!

Very controversial!

Lisa G
June 22, 2010 at 11:16

Maybe it's not fascist, but it's completely insensitive and tasteless. Why anyone would thingk that is art is ridiculous, and they had to have thought about the fact that they were putting it up next to synagogue. Some people are idiots.

Russel
June 22, 2010 at 11:45

<!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

So if it is not a fascist why she posted it??  By the way, today, June 22 1941, is the day Germany attacked USSR and started it's a road to the… it’s own end

June 22, 2010 at 17:02

Next to a synagogue? Yeah, that wasn't intentional.

Mark
June 22, 2010 at 19:29

Actually, I bet it wasn't to promote fascism. How many non-state funded artists do you know that are big fans of fascism? It is probably a dig at Walt Disney himself, a known anti-semite and Nazi supporter. It isn't insensitive to reexamine the things we hold dear and show our children in the light of our modern times. I don't read the language on the poster, but I think there's enough context in the picture itself to avoid calling the artist insensitive until we her from him.

Mark
June 22, 2010 at 19:35

In fact, still not knowing the true purpose of course, I would imagine this would please the Jews. A piece of art infantilizing and disparaging a true enemy of their people, as well as calling out the dick who loved them, yet whose estate is one of the most beloved and rich in the world? I think that's art of the highest degree. Once again, I don't know, because I can't read the words. That's just a really educated guess.

Alex
June 23, 2010 at 02:22

I think that is has nothing to do with Jews or Nazi, who ever posted that "artistic" peace of garbage just pure idiot!

June 23, 2010 at 07:00

I woul have to agree with Alex. It seems like the artist is merely a man of poor taste, nothing more. While my Polish is very weak, it seems to me that the sign says, "Poznan capital, holy items". Of course, I could be mistranslating, but assuming I am correct it is difficult to ascertain what items they have in mind ... Obviously, it is doubtful the gallery is filled with Nazi memorabilia.

June 23, 2010 at 09:04

My translation was seriously off. A friend of mine just sent me a more accurate translation ... Poznan, the capital of International Creativity

Mark
June 23, 2010 at 12:54

Did some research. the artist is Max Papeschi. From his site: "His pop Politically-Incorrect cites the American Life and reveals in a realistic ironical way all the horror of this life style. From the nazi-Micky Mouse to the Ronald McDonald Butcher the cult icons loose their reassuring effect and change into a collective nightmare."

Its irony directed at America. Don't condemn before you know the facts. It IS art, and it gets real dangerous when you start yelling about something you don't know anything about.

June 23, 2010 at 14:02

Thanks, Mark. That definitely clears things up.

June 23, 2010 at 14:45

Mark,

I agree with your points but I think the controversy is not with regards to artist's work but its use in a banner next to a synagogue.

Artist's work can be better appreciated and understood in the exhibition rather than a banner. This fact should be well known by the exhibition manager - as it would attract the wrong attention.

For more of the artist's work please check out -