Study: Kids who Listen to Music that References Marijuana More Likely to Smoke Pot. In Related News, Fire is Hot, Ice is Cold and my Penis is too Small.

Published by Alen420
December 23, 2009 at 08:13

The University of Pittsburgh has too much money in their coffers, I think it is time to share the wealth.  Their latest research project has proven the illusive "Does music encourage pot use?" conundrum.  In a shocking revelation, it looks like it does.

So boys and girls, before listening to that snoopy dog or that ludicrous rap music, ask yourself if you want to be a pothead too.

Teens who frequently listen to music that contains references to marijuana are more likely to use the drug than their counterparts with less exposure to such lyrics, according to a University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine study online now in the journal Addiction.Source: www.sciencedaily.com

Really? ... REALLY????  It took how long for you to come to that conclusion?

"Based on an analysis of survey data from 959 ninth-graders, we found that students who listen to music with the most references to marijuana are almost twice as likely to have used the drug than their peers whose musical tastes favor songs less focused on substance use, even after controlling for confounding factors," said Brian Primack, M.D.,Ed.M., M.S., lead author of the study and assistant professor of medicine and pediatrics at Pitt's School of Medicine.

"Interestingly, we also found that exposure to marijuana in music was not associated with other high-risk behaviors, such as excessive alcohol consumption. This suggests that there is a real link between the marijuana lyrics and marijuana use," said Dr. Primack.

Source: www.sciencedaily.com

I wonder why that can be?  Possibly because alcohol is commonly accepted and marijuana is considered taboo.  If you remove the taboo, the kids will be less likely to try it and treat it just like alcohol.  I take it rocket science wasn't your minor.

This research seems to have a flaw in it.  It directly correlates music to marijuana, while ignoring the fact that those who smoke marijuana may seek out music with references to it.  This is something that is very true, especially in my case.  The research concentrates on Ninth Graders, but even at this age I had at least tried marijuana and would gladly smoke if I could find it.  After I started smoking, personally I enjoyed Cypress Hill for their references and searched for more music in that genre.

December 23, 2009 at 08:49

Do you remember the song "Because I got High"? ... I am sure that this song 'converted' many.  Honestly, everyone that listened to that song was a pot smoker because they could relate to the music, not the other way around.  The research itself has some valid points, but it is missing a subtle element that you mentioned.

DrWinky
December 23, 2009 at 09:15

This would be a fine study if kids were not allowed to decide what music they listen to, but they do. If you use a little logic and common sense you realize that kids that smoke weed prefer artist that sing about smoking weed. I listen to the Kotton Mouth Kings daily because I like pot; I don't like pot because I listen to the Kotton Mouth Kings. It is one thing for researchers with an agenda to through logic out the window; it is another when the media joins in.

Angela
December 23, 2009 at 11:44

Whats wrong with you people?  You are obviously immature and childless.  If I learned that my children were smoking I would ground them for a month.  If you wouldn't do the same you have no right to be parents.

December 23, 2009 at 11:44

My questions -

- Why would the survey use 9 graders, rather than using high school kids? Is it the age when teenagers start experimenting with drugs and alcohol? I think high school students would be better.

- What percentage of these kids first used marijuana first and then listened to the songs? Maybe the correlation is the other way around?

- What kind of music did the kids like? Maybe the tastes are irrespective of the usage?

Btw, I read somewhere - 37.73% of the statistics are made up!

Lisa G
January 26, 2010 at 12:45

I definitely agree on the music being influenced by tthe smoking and not the other way around... but newsfreak, 9th graders ARE highschoolers, they're freshman.