Wellington Menezes Oliveira: Gunman opens fire at Brazil school; 13 dead

Published by newsfreak
April 7, 2011 at 05:52

Wellington Menezes Oliveira, 24-year former student at an elementary school (Escola Municipal Tasso da Silveira school in the western Realengo area) in Rio de Janerio (Brazil), allegedly broke into the school hall shortly before 9am local time and opened fire.  Reports have indicated that at least 13 people died and more than 20 injured.

The gunman is reported to be among the dead, but it is not clear if he shot himself or was killed by police.

Witnesses said the shooting began outside Tasso da Silveira school at around 8.30am when Mr de Oliveira opened fire on two boys, shooting one in the head and one in the arm with two loaded 38-caliber revolvers .
He is said to have continued through the school’s metal gates and up to a packed classroom on the second floor, opening fire on children aged between 11 and 13 before turning the gun on himself.

“I saw a load of injured kids, bleeding kids. I saw a dead guy inside. I heard more than 30 shots. My daughter was inside,” said Hercilei Antunes, a postman who lives opposite the school.
Source: www.telegraph.co.uk

A fireman tells the Guardian that up to 20 children are feared dead in the shooting.

"It is a massacre, a true massacre. There is blood on the walls, blood on the chairs. There are 15 to 20 dead I think," fireman Roni de Macedo told the paper.

At least 30 people were injured in the shooting, O Dia newspaper reports.Source: www.foxnews.com

;

A makeshift hospital was set up on a soccer field near the school to give victims first aid before the most serious cases were taken to the hospital.

We will keep you posted with updates.

Response by newsfreak
April 7, 2011 at 13:46

Wellington Menezes Oliveira: Gunman opens fire at Brazil school; 13 dead

New reports claim that Oliveria allegedly killed 11 children and injured 13 before turning the gun to himself. Among the dead, there were 10 girls and 1 boy - all between the ages of 12 and 14. Most of the victims were either shot in the head or chest. Four of the 13 wounded students are in critical condition.

The attack seemed to be carefully planned.

Police said the shooter, a man in his early 20's, was a former student at the school named Wellington Menezes de Oliviera who carefully planned the attack.

According to Brazil's Alerta News, de Oliviera lived just a few blocks from the school. People who knew the suspect described him as antisocial, a loner who didn't care for himself, Brazilian media reported.

While police are still trying to piece together exactly what happened, the gunman apparently entered the school claiming that he was there to give a speech or presentation to students. He was apparently clothed in black and was carrying two revolvers and ammunition.Source: abcnews.go.com

He intended to kill all.

Jade Ramos, a student at the school, said the gunman repeatedly yelled "I'm going to kill you all!"

"He had already killed a lot of children in the first floor and in the yard," she told the Globo television network. "He kept telling the kids to face the wall and was shooting at their heads. The children kept begging, 'No, please!' There was a lot of blood, children agonizing on the stairs."

Source: www.google.com

Two wounded children were able to get out and get help from nearby patrolling police officers.

Two of the wounded children managed to get out of the school and ask three police officers who were nearby for help, police said.

The officers ran to the school and one of them shot the gunman, identified as Wellington Menezes Oliveira, in the leg to keep him from hurting more of the children.

Oliveira, who was described by a former employer as "introverted and calm," shot himself in the head as police closed in, the Rio de Janeiro Public Safety Secretariat said.

Source: latino.foxnews.com

Oliveira's motive is not clear as he left a strange suicide note - some parts of which have been disclosed.

No motive was known, but authorities said the shooter left a rambling and mostly incoherent letter at the scene indicating he wanted to kill himself.

The letter also explained in detail how Oliveira wanted his corpse to be cared for — bathed and wrapped in a white sheet that he left in a bag in the first room where he said he would start shooting. The letter also states that the gunman should not be touched by anyone who is "impure" unless they wear gloves.

"If possible I want to be buried next to my mother. A follower of God must visit my grave at least once. He must pray before my grave and ask God to forgive me for what I have done," read the letter, portions of which were posted on the Globo television network's website.

Edmar Peixoto, the deputy mayor of western Rio, said the letter also stated the gunman was infected with the AIDS virus.

Source: www.google.com

Despite the fact that was the first of a kind incidence for Brazil, the country is no stranger to violent crimes. UNESCO rated the country 2nd in deaths by guns, with 21.72 per 100,000 people a year.  Venezuela has 34.3 gun deaths per 100,000.

Response by newsfreak
April 8, 2011 at 06:00

Wellington Menezes Oliveira: Gunman opens fire at Brazil school; 13 dead

There is CCTV footage of students running out of the classroom has been released. Please use your discretion while viewing it -

Also the picture of the shooter, 24-year old Wellington Menezes Oliveira has been released as well -

Excerpts from the letter left behind by the shooter -

The following are excerpts from the letter, the shooter left at the school:

'You should first know that the impure cannot touch me without gloves, only the chaste or those who lost their chastity after marriage and were not involved in adultery can touch me without gloves, or, in other words, no fornicator or adulterer can have direct contact with me.

'Those who prepare my burial should take off all my clothes, wash me, dry me and wrap me totally naked in a white sheet that is in this building, in a bag that I left in the first room on the first floor, after they have wrapped me in this sheet they can put me in my coffin.

'If possible, I want to be buried next to the grave where my mom sleeps. I need to be visited at my grave by a faithful follower of God at least once, he must pray in front of my grave and ask God's forgiveness for what I did praying that upon his return Jesus wakes me from the sleep of death for eternal life.'

'I left a house in Sepetiba which no family needs, there are poor institutions, financed by generous people, that take care of abandoned animals, I want this space where I passed my final months donated to one of these institutions.'

Definitely a deranged individual!

Bruno
April 7, 2011 at 13:54

É isso ai Brasil, arrebentaaa!!

GG
April 7, 2011 at 20:09

Gnte estpida ne

Damires
April 8, 2011 at 03:24

Realmente este foi o massacre mais inesperado por nós brasileiros. Nunca imaginariamos que um de nós copiaria a rotina dos Estados Unidos.

O mundo todo está comovido com essa tragédia, crianças inocentes vítimas do fanatismo e disturbiu mental deste homem.

O que leva uma pessoa a matar várias crianças e citar Deus em sua vida, descrever que é uma pessoa pura? Certas religiões deveiam ser banidas da face da terra, tais que não podem ser aceitadas e respeitadas. Só quero que este fato não motive outros brasileiros a fazer tal chassina.

Espero que nós seres humanos não acabemos uns com os outros desta forma terrível e repugnante.